What Our School Offers
- Centerstone has established a counseling program for Murrell School students.
- The aim of this program is to provide counseling services within the school
- Students served include those certified as seriously emotionally disturbed and learning disabled. The two primary services of this program are individual psychotherapy and group therapy for students.
Program goals include:
Improving students' behavioral adjustment, self-esteem and social skills;
Increasing students' attention span, self-control and problem solving skills;
Helping students explore and understand their feelings;School Counselors
Working in a complementary role with classroom staff to prepare students for mainstreaming.
Program success is monitored and evaluated by the following means:
Pre- and post- testing of students in such areas as self-esteem, social skills and behavioral adjustment;
Charting student progress through a token economy system;
Evaluating student readiness for mainstreaming;
Teacher observation and reports;
Parent observation and reports;
Therapists' charting of objectives met.
What Makes Our School Unique?
We at Murrell School are proud to be a part of the Metropolitan Nashville Public School System. Our purpose is to enhance academic performance while enabling a student to acquire new, acceptable behaviors to replace the old, undesirable behaviors that led to placement here at Murrell.
In order to fulfill this mission, we must coordinate the efforts of home, school and community to best meet the needs and enhance the lives of our students. We strive to provide an environment that provides the support, consistency and nurturing that our special population requires.
We welcome inquiries and would enjoy a visit from anyone wishing to see and experience firsthand our unique program and exemplary school!
School Zone and Pathway
Students throughout Davidson County attend Murrell School. Students are placed through an IEP process. Students attending Murrell are zoned to the Hillsboro High School cluster.
PENCIL & Community Partners
- Highwoods Properties
- Parent involvement is essential to the Murrell program.
- The FAN Club (Fathers of Father Figures are Necessary) focuses on the importance of positive male role models to the well-being of our students. A significant male in the life of each student will be asked to participate in activities sponsored by Murrell School.
- The 5 Hour challenge will continue with the award monies received from the State Board of Education.
Murrell is a field placement for students from:
- Lipscomb University - Social Work Dept.
- Father Ryan High School - Senior Service Program
- Tennessee State University
- The University of Tennessee - School of Social Work
- Vanderbilt Graduate School